In 2004 GAP Ministries had a vision to impact elementary students in communities that have difficulty beginning the school year with necessary supplies. If each student could start out with a new backpack filled with paper, pencils, crayons, markers, scissors, notebooks, folders and other necessary items, he or she would be focused on education right from the start. This would also benefit teachers in these under-served schools, who often supplement supplies from their own paychecks. The backpacks would be distributed at a fun event with games and jumping castles, helping to create an atmosphere promoting a positive learning environment throughout the year. GAP’s goal is to reach every under-served school in Tucson and even nationwide, impacting each and every school district in the United States.
The Results – As of 2011
- Over 30,000 backpacks have been distributed in the past six years
- More than 200 volunteers from the community have participated
- Dozens of churches, businesses and other organizations have volunteered their time and donated products
- Media has joined in the effort – KFLT Radio, Explorer Newspaper, Comcast and others
- Participating schools saw increased PTO involvement, and parent/school cooperation
- Local churches “adopted” schools for on-going needs
GAP Ministries invites everyone in our community to join in supporting schools and education through the Backpack-2-School initiative! We need:
- Corporate sponsors
- Businesses to catch the vision to help children in their “backyard”
- Communities to support their local schools
- Neighborhoods and churches to have an ongoing involvement in their local schools
- Families to get excited about education
- Children equipped to go to school ready to learn
- Teachers to be appreciated, knowing that the burden to help their kids isn’t just on them
- Time volunteers, financial contributions and product donations
It costs $10 to provide a new high-quality backpack filled with school supplies for one child!
To donate (all contributions are tax deductible)
Or drop off donations of school supplies at the GAP offices
Over 30,000 backpacks & supplies given out to school children in the past seven years
Join the movement!
Gap Ministries’ 2013 Backpack2School program is underway and we need your help as we plan to give out 10,000 backpacks filled with supplies to Title 1 elementary students in the Amphi, Flowing Wells and Tucson Unified school districts!
“ADOPT” a School: Volunteers and financial partnerships needed for the 2013 events!
2013 Tentative Schedule of Events:
Amphi: July 26th, 6pm-8pm, location TBD
Flowing Wells: July 27th 10am-12pm, Flowing Wells Jr High
TUSD: Aug. 4th, 2pm-6pm, Tucson Convention Center
$10 per child provides a backpack, supplies and a carnival to kick off the year!
YOUR CHURCH’s Role –
• Pick a school (or district) to “adopt”
• Take donations during services to help with costs for the Backpack-2-School event (remember our total cost is $10/child and most schools have approximately 300-400 children)
• Provide 25-30 volunteers to help with the event
• Provide game/activity booths at event with prizes (we can help you with ideas)
GAP Ministries’ Role –
• Provide the backpacks and supplies, along with carnival including food and jumping castles
• Include your church on all information as a sponsor
• Provide an area at the event for your church to have information on your service times, youth ministries, etc.
New this year! – Churches have the unique opportunity to host a Backpack2School event at the school of their choice! GAP Ministries will provide materials to churches who are interested in hosting and running their own event!
For more information please contact Meagan Ayers at
520-877-8077 or firstname.lastname@example.org